Non-jQuery version of DataTables. Is this gonna happen?

Non-jQuery version of DataTables. Is this gonna happen?

daytonoutardaytonoutar Posts: 25Questions: 7Answers: 1

Is there any initiative to have DataTables operate without jQuery as a dependency?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 48,657Questions: 1Answers: 7,068 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Its something I keep considering - but then I keep coming back to the fact that it would be a very significant amount of work to re-implement the parts of jQuery we do use. For example event namespaces, events (keeping in mind that DT supports IE8+ - actually the current version is IE6+, but that will change soon) and various other things.

Perhaps I might be wrong, but I feel my time working on DataTables would be better spent improving its core and features, rather than effectively rewriting parts jQuery and increasing the size and testing of the library. I'm not even certain how much space it would save once that has been done.

That said, another option is to effectively abstract jQuery out, so it can be used if available, and if not then some compatibility layer that uses querySelectorAll will be used and that would support only evergreen browsers. Again, there is a good bit of work involved in that, and I've not yet made my mind up about if it is worth the trade off and size increase. It is probably the way I will go as I'm thinking about that as I'm writing the stuff for DataTables 2, but it does need to be noted the amount of value there is in using jQuery.

Allan

• daytonoutardaytonoutar Posts: 25Questions: 7Answers: 1

I've been looking through the source code. It is respectable work.

I've seen an attempt to abstract jQuery out through this project, https://github.com/Mobius1/Vanilla-DataTables

It's not complete though and no where near the maturity that jQuery DataTables have. I may make an attempt at contributing to that project while making reference and going through your source code.

I do understand your goals and the focus you have on improving the core and features of jQuery DataTables.

I may be just one of the few developers that prefer to use DataTables in any framework including Angular, which discourages the use of jQuery.

I'll make an attempt at abstracting away jQuery but time will tell. It's not a priority, since I am mostly focused now on learning Angular while building an app that delivers value to users/customers.

• BusterenBusteren Posts: 39Questions: 13Answers: 4

Not to bump the thread, but I have also been looking a bit at it. But it is significant work and not sure it will be worth it as Allan mentioned for various reasons.

@daytonoutar if you do plan on having a look, let me know. I am going to have a look at that github repository. If I do decide to do it, I will probably drop support for any unofficially supported browsers.

@allan is there a roadmap for DataTables 2?

• allanallan Posts: 48,657Questions: 1Answers: 7,068 Site admin

Its somewhat out of date I'm afraid, but this is the roadmap. I need to update it!

Allan